Fellowship is available to EWI individual members who have been in membership for at least a year and have more than 10 years as an Expert Witness.
A Fellow must be able to demonstrate a high personal standing within their profession or discipline, integrity and ability as a witness, knowledge of the legal requirements placed on an expert witness and a commitment to the development of the Institute.
This membership category is for experienced professionals of all disciplines who are established as expert witnesses and can meet the rigorous criteria. Applications for membership are vetted by EWI's membership committee.
As a Fellow, as well as other benefits, you will
- appear at the top of searches on the Find an Expert Directory;
- are entitled to use the Postnominal: FEWI (or FEWI Cert if you are also Certified); and
- will be able to use the EWI Fellow logo
Applicants must have been a member of the EWI for at least 1 year and be able to demonstrate:
- Their standing within their profession and discipline
- Excellence in practice as an Expert Witness
- A commitment to Continuing Professional Development both as an Expert and as an Expert Witness
- A commitment to developing and improving the practices of others
- A commitment to and understanding of EWI’s mission and strategic objectives
You will be asked to submit the following documents/information as part of your application:
- Current CV
- Proof of membership of appropriate regulatory body (if applicable)
- A statement setting out why you believe your experience as an expert witness is significant
- An anonymised, expert witness report from a closed case which is compliant for the Court and Jurisdiction in which it was submitted. (IMPORTANT: You must redact all information which would enable us to identify the individuals such as names and dates of birth from the report)
- The contact details of three instructing parties who we may contact for a reference
- Where you have experience giving evidence in hearings, please provide a list of any judgments of which you are aware in which you have been named. Where these relate to hearings which must remain anonymous (for example Arbitration hearings) please state the number of hearings in which you have been named.
- A list of CPD you have undertaken to improve your Expert Witness practice over the last three years
- A 250-word statement telling us how your CPD over the period has developed your skills and knowledge
- A 250-word statement telling us about your experience in mentoring or training others
- A 250-word statement telling us how you feel you can contribute to the Expert Witness Institute as a Fellow
Guidance for Applicants
Guidance for Applicants
Application Fee: £140
Annual Subscription: £310 / £300 when you pay by Direct Debit