The Expert Witness Institute has established its first international presence in Singapore. It received permission from the Register of Societies on the 19th May 2019.
The first organisation of its kind in Singapore, EWI Singapore will support the growing body of professionals providing expert witness services to courts and tribunals in Singapore and across Asia. EWI Singapore will serve the burgeoning Asian legal market with plans to increase the number of accredited expert witnesses available to share their knowledge with lawyers across a wide range of sectors including construction and finance.
Its objects are
- To provide support to and an organisation for experts, appearing in Courts and Tribunals in South East Asia, of all professional disciplines and other occupations requiring skills and judgement.
- To provide training for experts, who provide reports for Courts and Tribunals in South East Asia, whether by way of courses, seminars, conferences or otherwise to maintain and enhance high professional standards in expert witnesses and their status.
- To act as a voice for expert witnesses, which may include communicating to the media factual information concerning its work or court cases its members are involved in.
- To encourage lawyers to make use of experts wherever specialised knowledge is required.
- To work actively with other Professional Bodies and Associations to ensure that any of their members who wishes to be an expert witness has the necessary education, training, support and ability.
- To carry on any trade or business which can, in the opinion of the Committee, be advantageously carried on by the Society, and to do all such other things as are incidental to, or which the Society may think conducive to the achievement of the objects of the Society.
Read the Constitution
A management committee has been appointed with responsibility for directing the activities of EWI Singapore. The committee of experts and dispute resolution practitioners is led by President, Professor Leslie Chew SC and Vice President, Mr Chan Leng Sun SC.
Applications for Membership of EWI through EWI Singapore are now open.
We welcome experts and users of experts throughout Asia to apply to join EWI through the Singapore branch.
The membership of the Society comprises 4 categories:
- Associate Members - either lawyers or professionals who deal with and engage experts.
- Provisional Members - qualified professionals from any discipline who are new to the Expert Witness profession but would like to join the Society.
- Individual Members - practising Experts who have the relevant qualifications and who can provide references by lawyers and courts that they have given evidence as experts. Provisional members who have subsequently gained experience as actual experts will be able to apply to become Individual Members. Individual Members are the accredited Experts of EWI.
- Fellows - Individual Members who have 10 years of experience as Experts.
Please contact the EWI Singapore Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org should you be interested in membership or require further assistance.
EWI Singapore will be running various events for members.
EWI Singapore Events