The Expert Witness Institute has established its first international presence in Singapore. This new initiative will serve the burgeoning Asian legal market with plans to increase the number of accredited expert witnesses available to share their knowledge with lawyers across a wide range of sectors including construction and finance.
Objectives and aims
- To build a membership base in Asia and so to expand the number of Experts who are members of the EWI;
- To source additional work for our existing membership base in the UK and internationally where there are not expects in Asia;
- To represent Experts in Asia with the appropriate judiciary and Ministries of Justice and where necessary assist with the development of rules that experts operate under (such as similar rules to CPR 35 including the Practice Directions and Protocols);
- To assist with the education and expertise of Experts in Asia such as to improve the quality of practicing experts; and
- To have representation of the EWI in other Jurisdictions which may rival London as a hub for international litigation, arbitration and mediation in the future.
A management committee has been appointed with responsibility for directing the activities of EWI Singapore.
In September 2018, to celebrate the official launch, the EWI Singapore presented its inaugural seminar “The Role of an Expert in Dispute Resolution”
Some fifty experts were in attendance and the seminar was hosted by Professor Leslie Chew, Dean of Law at Singapore University of Social Sciences; Sir Martin Spencer, Chairman of the Board of Governors of the EWI, and Sir Vivian Ramsey, gave welcome addresses; the key note address was given by guest-of-honour the Honourable Justice Quentin Loh of the Supreme Court in Singapore; Chris Easton, Thomas Walford, Chan Leng Sun, and John Gibson also addressed the delegates.
The next conference is scheduled for late May 2019.
For initial membership enquiries please contact the EWI Singapore Secretariat on email@example.com